Welcome to Maine Health!
Maine Health is a nonprofit system of leading hospitals, providers, and organizations. It addresses the most pressing health priorities. The major goal of the organization is to improve health across the state. The system focuses on 7 priority areas that have a major impact on the state’s health status:
- Tobacco use;
- Cardiovascular deaths;
- Obesity (average American male weight has increased significantly);
- Opioid deaths 2016;
- Childhood immunizations;
- Fentanyl deaths
- Preventable hospitalizations;
- Health care at home;
- Prescription drug abuse and addiction;
- Cancer deaths 2016.
The aim of the system is to use sets of health indicators to:
- Recognize the most relevant health problems and needs of residents of Maine;
- Help find opportunities for strategic and collaborative actions to solve Maine’s most pressing health problems;
- Control and evaluate the progress made on improving the health and well-being of residents of Maine.
Each year, MaineHealth releases its annual report which describes how the system and Maine medical partners (e.g. Southern Maine Health Care) are dealing with the priority health issues through community, clinical and policy strategies.