Decrease Tobacco Use
MaineHealth is expanding access to effective programs and therapies for helping tobacco users become tobacco-free, and partnering with community organizations to prevent youth from ever using tobacco.
Smoking rates in the U.S. and Maine have been steadily decreasing over the last 50 years, however, smoking is still the leading preventable cause of death.
In 2014 smoking rate among Maine's adults (18%) was statistically lower than the 2011 and 2000 rates (23% and 24%, respectively)
The majority of Maine's adult smokers made a serious attempt to quit in the 12 months prior to being interviewed.
While Maine's youth smoking rate in 1997 (39%) was one of the highest rates in the nation, rates have been below the national youth rates since 2001.
- Implement tobacco prevention guidelines in healthcare facilities.
- Build clinical IT systems to inform clinical practice and resource allocation.
- Expand tobacco screening and treatment across all clinical and behavioral health settings based on guidelines.
- Train clinical staff on identifying and eliminating health disparities.
- Expand referrals to helpline and non-clinical providers.
- Implement evidence-based prevention programs and interventions.
- Identify policy gaps and implement policy and environmental change.
- Optimize tobacco prevention and control funding.
Logic Model: Decrease Tobacco UseMore...
Logic Model – A roadmap or diagram showing chain results connecting activities to the expected initial outputs, and intermediate and final outcomes. It provides a basis for developing the performance measurement and evaluation strategies.
2016 America's Health Rankings Report
America's Health RankingsMore...
America's Health Rankings compares the health of all 50 states to each other. This ranking tool is used as a benchmark for MaineHealth's Health Index.
Community Commons can help with your Community Health Needs Assessment
Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA) funded by OneMaine Health Collaborative 2010
County Health Rankings - Maine by County 2013
County Health Rankings - Maine by County 2014
County Health Rankings - Maine by County 2015More...
Rankings produced by Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and University of Wisconsin
County Health Rankings - Visit WebsiteMore...
Look up your county's rankings, learn about our methods, and download the data you need. This ranking tool is used as a benchmark for MaineHealth's Health Index.
Health Index Report - 2014